|| EU-Sponsored "Open Drama" Consortium meets in Luxembourg. Satellite Broadband Distribution Network to be provided by Europe Online.
Luxembourg, 17th June 2002
The OpenDrama consortium, sponsored within the framework of the European Union's Information Society Technologies (IST) Programme, announced the first review of the OpenDrama platform on the premises of the European Commission in Luxembourg.
OpenDrama, a group of leading European music, research and technology specialists, is an ambitious project which focuses on the digital heritage of opera in the open network environment. The project aims at the definition, development and integration of a novel platform to author and deliver rich cross-media digital objects of lyric opera and other vocal dramatic music, such as cantatas, masses, Lieder, society and entertainment music, opening this heritage to a new and wider dimension of learning, exploring and entertainment. Within this context, the OpenDrama will provide the digital music market with innovative content and with a set of integrated solutions for advanced publishing, entertainment and audio-visual on-demand services. Users of the OpenDrama online portal will be able follow their own path of musical and semantic associations within the virtual world of the Opera Memory Palace, enjoying music streaming with plot visualisation, the real-time display of score and libretto, 3D virtual staging, access to background information and karaoke.
The broadband network distribution platform for the project is provided by Europe Online Investments S.A., owner of one of the world's largest digital broadband convergence networks via satellite, and situated in Betzdorf. "We are proud to represent Luxembourg in this prestigous group," said Europe Online's Founder, Candace Johnson."We already have a list of 'firsts' in the broadband online musical sector, and we are keen to deploy our technology with next generation, sophisticated on-line applications, particularly in the area of arts and entertainment". In addition to Europe Online, the consortium contains music, rearach and technology specialists from across Europe:
- SPACE S.p.A, the Italian project co-ordinator, specialised in innovative applications of models and technologies for the valorisation of cultural heritage
- Teatro del Maggio Musicale Fiorentino - Fondazione, the world-renowned lyric theatre in Florence
- English Opera North, a dynamic offspring of the English national Opera, which merges innovation with tradition
- Ministero per i Beni e le Attivita Culturali - Discoteca di Stato, the major national archive belonging to the Italian Ministry of Culture
- Dynamic S.R.L., a young but very active and specialised Italian recording house
- Politecnico di Milano, a centre of expertise in the area of hypermedia models and services
- Centre for Music Technology, The University of Glagow, a leading centre on all topics and technologies regarding digital music
- Audiovisual Department, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, an advanced centre in Barcelona, following several strands of innovation in digital music
- System Simulation Ltd, leading British experts in the media software industry.
Further information concerning the participants, aims, scope and development of the project can be found at the OpenDrama website: http://www.opendrama.com
Or contact :
Europe Online Investments S.A.
Tel. +352 719 785 1
Fax. +352 710 787
Back to Press Releases Index